"Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore."
-André Gide






Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Why I Fish Tournaments

I have heard all the excuses of why people don’t fish tournaments but most of these excuses come from people with little or no tournament fishing experience. I fully understand that tournament fishing isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, and all I can say to that is to each his own.

I still remember the first kayak tournament I entered over three years ago. I came into my first event with great hesitation but with good reason. At the time I just started kayaking and saltwater fishing with lures and had never fished competitively. I was also fishing alien waters that I had never fished before. I was in a completely unfamiliar world. Other than their avatars and online personas I knew no one with any familiarity. I felt like a kid at his first day at a new school. There was a myriad of emotions that triumphed internally during that first go-around, which included being nervous, overwhelmed, scared, and intimidated.

The tournament fishing community was no semblance of what I made it out to be. I came into competitive fishing thinking everyone I was fishing against was a pro or sponsored fisherman, meaning I had no chance to compete with these individuals because they were inherently better than I was. I also believed that these same people were egotistical individuals that were only competing for the bragging rights and to boost their own self-esteem.

My prognostication couldn’t have been more wrong. As a whole, the tournament fishing community is like one big family; everyone is not out for each other’s throats. Although the very nature of tournaments leads to competitive battles, I never once felt it was me against the field. It felt more like a friendly battle, like the kind between siblings. Tournament anglers are some of the most helpful individuals I have been around with regards to their willingness to share knowledge.

Participants were actually willing to help out greenhorn tournament anglers. They were eager to share their expertise about seasonal patterns, lure selection and presentation, and tactics that have proved successful in their past fishing experience. Some of my best fishing alliances have been formed through my involvement in the tournament fishing community. My proverbial “learning curve” was expedited tremendously by hanging around and fishing with fellow tournament anglers.


Who would have thought you could catch monster trout in the middle of the night on topwaters in shallow water during the winter time? I sure didn’t, but it was one of many things I learned from fellow kayak anglers whom I met at various fishing competitions.

What I gained from that experience and all the other tournaments I have fished since is what has led me to where I am today. I love tournament fishing for a number of reasons. I love the preparation, scheming, and strategizing that tournament fishing entails. I love the camaraderie of the tournament fishing community. And last but definitely not least, I love the competition.

Tournament fishing is great because it forces you to become a better fisherman whether you want to or not. You are forced to fish in whatever conditions Mother Nature decides to throw your way and at the end of the day you get to compare your results with others that had to battle the same set of circumstances. If you are one of the people fortunate enough to come out near the top, you get a great sense of accomplishment knowing that you were able to defeat a field of qualified individuals. Tournament fishing also forces you to fish foreign places throughout the entire Texas coast not just your home waters, which helps you become a more versatile angler. You are never losing money in a tournament because you gain so much through experience.

For anyone unsure about fishing tournaments, come on out and get in on the fun. Talk to some people you don’t know, meet some new fishing partners, and learn some new waters. You will have a good time and meet people that share your passion of fishing from plastic boats and if you’re lucky you might even walk away with a prize or bragging rights to take home.

Be aware though, tournament fishing, like kayak fishing as a whole, can be very addicting. If you are on the fence go ahead and give it a shot but you can’t say I didn’t warn you. If you are reading this and are interested in tournaments but hesitant of jumping in shoot me an email or PM with any questions, comments, or concerns you might have.

Sam holding two tournament quality reds from one of our previous prefishing excursions...

No comments:

Post a Comment